Asian Cabbage Slaw| Christy Rost
- 1 large Napa or green cabbage, about 2 ¼ pounds, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup cucumber, rinsed, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, rinsed, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Early in the day, slice the cabbage in half lengthwise, trim the bottom, and remove the tough core. Slice the cabbage crosswise into thin slices and transfer to a large bowl. Add carrot, onion, and cilantro, and toss well to combine.
In a small bowl, stir together rice vinegar, honey, sweet chili sauce, pepper, and salt. Whisk in olive oil just until well combined. Pour the vinaigrette over the cabbage mixture and toss well. Cover and chill, tossing occasionally, until ready to serve.
Yield: 8 servings