Grilled Smothered Flank Steak Sandwiches| Christy Rost
- 2-3 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef flank steak, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 package hoagie rolls
Preheat the outdoor grill. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, and sauté the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are caramel-colored, about 20 minutes. Remove them from the heat and keep them warm. Whisk together the lime-cilantro dressing and set it aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the salt, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, coriander, and black pepper. Rub the mixture over both sides of the meat and grill it to your desired degree of doneness. When it is done, transfer it to a cutting board and squeeze lime juice over the meat. Carve the meat thinly at an angle.
To serve, split the rolls in half lengthwise and spoon lime-cilantro dressing into the roll. Top with slices of flank steak and caramelized onions.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Whisk the lime juice, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, canola oil, and cilantro together in a small bowl until the dressing is well blended.