Roasted Acorn Squash with Spiced Apple Compote| Christy Rost
Source: At Home with Christy Rost, Season 2, Episode 211
- 2 to 4 acorn squash, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large Cosmic Crisp apple, rinsed, cored, and chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried Rainier cherries
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the stem end from the acorn squash, scoop out the seeds, and cut a thin slice from the bottom of each squash so they stand upright. Stand squash upright on a baking sheet and roast 40-50 minutes or until the pulp is tender.
While the squash is roasting, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add apple and saute 5 minutes until it begins to soften. Stir in cranberries, cherries, currants, and golden raisins. In a small bowl, whisk apple cider into cornstarch to form a smooth slurry. Stir the slurry into the apple mixture, along with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, stirring occasionally until the apples are soft and the compote has thickened.
Transfer roasted squash to a serving platter and fill the centers with apple compote. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 8 servings