Spicy Mango Chutney| Christy Rost
- 3 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons tart apple cider
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes or until it begins to soften; stir in the chile flakes.
Place the cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons of the apple cider to form a smooth slurry; set it aside. Stir the remaining cider into the onion mixture and add brown sugar, granulated sugar, vinegar, curry powder, ginger, and cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir in the mango and reserved cornstarch slurry, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and reduces by one-fourth.
Yield: 3 cups chutney