Whole Wheat Pasta With Chicken And Tomato Leek Sauce| Christy Rost
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2 leeks, white part only, rinsed and diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 14 1/2 - ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, plus additional for garnish
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta, cooked until al dente
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add half the chicken strips, cook 1 to 2 minutes without stirring until they are brown, and turn them over to brown the other side. Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl, cook the remaining chicken strips, and transfer them to the bowl to stay warm.
Pour the remaining tablespoon of oil into the skillet, add leeks and garlic, and cook 1 to 2 minutes until they are soft. Stir in wine, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, sugar, coarse salt, and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook sauce 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and stir in reserved cooked chicken, chopped parsley, oregano, and grated Romano cheese. Cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Serve over whole wheat pasta and garnish with additional grated Romano cheese, if desired.
Recipe serves 4 to 6.