Creamy Spinach Fettuccine with Mushrooms and Prosciutto| Christy Rost
- 1/2 pound spinach fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, grated, plus additional for garnish
Drain the pasta, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Set the pasta aside and keep it warm. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the mushrooms, sauté 1 minute, and add the garlic and prosciutto. Sauté 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
Stir in the white wine, reserved pasta water, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Raise the heat to medium-high, bring the mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by one-fourth.
Remove the skillet from the heat, add the cooked pasta and Romano cheese, and stir gently to mix. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl, garnish it with additional grated cheese, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings.