Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin| Christy Rost
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch thickness
- 2 Cosmic Crisp or other firm apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup grated Carr Valley Master’s Reserve Cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup Panko crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a single layer of sweet potatoes in a large baking dish, overlapping the slices. Add a layer of sliced apple and top with the remaining sweet potatoes.
In a small bowl, stir together the heavy cream, chicken broth, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and sprinkle with grated cheese. Cover the casserole tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with Panko crumbs, and bake 15 minutes more, or until the sweet potatoes and apples are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings